twitstamp.com

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Once you pop, you can't stop. (HD Matters)

One of my friends has a 5 year old son that's addicted to gaming. Racing games are his favorite, but up until lately, all he's had is "Cars" on the GBA. Aside from that, he has the Sonic Collection on the Gamecube, along with Donkey Conga (or whatever it's called).

Since he likes racing games so much, I donated ATV Offroad, Need for Speed: Underground, and Burnout: Revenge. All are disappointingly for the PS2, but that's what they have. I've been trying to get him to lean more toward Burnout so when I play with him I don't hate it.

He plays on a 27" SDTV, and my eyes are decidedly very unhappy with the old standard definition. Split screen play in Burnout looks so grainy it's barely tolerable. It's so bad in fact, that I cannot tell when shortcuts are coming up and sometimes I cannot even tell whether I'm about to hit an oncoming car or rear-end another car.

The game is essentially the same as the 360 version, but saying graphics don't matter is a bit silly. Even the physics seem a bit less fun on the PS2. The game feels so negatively different when stepping backwards, that it's easier to see benefits of the increased power.

Conclusively, HD matters. Anyone going from 480i on the crummy PS2 to 720/1080 on the PS3 or 360 will see the difference. Going back is actually painful to some extent. The eyes don't have to work as hard to discern the environmental obstacles on the current console collection. For those who haven't made the jump yet, stick with last gen as long as possible. It will feel like those old PS1 games did in 2004.

It looks like NintendoWiiFanboy.com is a bit envious as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home