twitstamp.com

Thursday, May 18, 2006

One of the several reasons I hate Sony

"Please insert a Playstation 2 disc"

"DISC READ ERROR"

I get home from work, and I figure it's time to finish off FF8 in the living room. I get the above errors. Now if this was the first time this has happened to me with a PS2, that would be one thing. If I played burned games (which I don't), then that would also be expected. Neither is the case.

We've had several PS2's in this househould, ranging from bricks to slims. Every single one of them has had a problem of some kind. All of them involved some sort of disc reading problem.

*sigh* I don't have any more brick PS2 parts either. I've only got broken slims left. Guess I'll have to get in gear and fix one of the slims.

Either that or spend $30-$60 on a new brick laser...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still on my original fatty PS2 and while this will be a remedial suggestion, have you tried switching the position of the PS2? Mine rarely has difficulties, but if it does (mainly the Blue-bottomed first-gen titles), I move the PS2 from vertical to horizontal or vice-versa and it loads up right away.

Oh, and thanks for commenting at ps3fanboy! It's appreciated.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

Worked for me. I had a PS2 I bought at launch stop working a few months ago, I did this - now it works fine. I don't know why people keep saying it's not reliable, Mine has always worked perfectly until just recently and after 30 minutes of work it's fine again.

9:26 PM  
Blogger SuicideNinja said...

Hey guys, thanks for trying to help.

Actually, I've fixed about a dozen PS2's. I've even modded a few. But I'm tired of it. The laser's outright suck, and the disassembly/reassembly process grows tiring. The slims are much easier to change the laser's in, but the v12's had a low quality setup. The newest slims seem fine.

I'm glad you guys have had mostly troubleless days with PS2s, but as the resident "fix-it" friend, I've not had pleasant experiences. Fixing one or two PS2s is one thing...but after that I couldn't take it any more.

Thanks for trying though!

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home