twitstamp.com

Monday, February 25, 2008

Lost Odyssey: the JRPG we've been waiting for

I see many mentions in reviews of how Lost Odyssey doesn't offer anything new to RPG gameplay. For the most part, this is true, but I wasn't ware that JRPG fans were desperate for change anytime soon.

I will say that so far, the battle system on FFXII was far more interesting. But the stories involved in LO put the sleep-inducing FFXII storyline to shame. While the dream sequences may turn players off due to being text-only, I find it the most appropriate fit for what they are trying to convey. For the impatient, none of these sequences are required. But the short stories are well put together for the most part, and had me reacting the same as I would do a beautiful cut-scene.

The opening scene is worth watching a few times. Mistwalker did a stupendous job with it.

I'm strolling through the game right now, and I'm quite happy with it. It easily makes up for the drudgery that was Enchanted Arms and Blue Dragon. Hopefully LO will get a decent fanbase enabling Mistwalker to polish up their next adventure and expand into unfamiliar territory. In the meantime, I'll happily plug along at this latest offering.

I will do an official review once I complete the game.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home