twitstamp.com

Monday, June 11, 2007

Catching up...This time, it's 360 and Halo 3 etc.

I bought Crackdown with the Halo 3 Beta not long after the Beta was available. A few days later...I had to go to Virginia. When I returned, work was hectic and I just wasn't home much. So I only had a half-dozen occasions to play H3.

With a couple of buddies on my friends list...we played to the bitter end. We discussed how Crackdown would be the most returned/traded game of all time, and how 3+ months was a damn long time to wait until playing again. Bungie was kind enough to allow our last game to finish, and then our connection was terminated.

It made me think back that I've had the Wii and the PS3 for half a year now...and I still never touch them, even when I do have time. They are starting to remind me of my PS2...was glad to get it...but it just didn't drive me to be a gamer. I highly doubt the experience of hanging out with buddies until the game-supply shuts out the lights will ever happen with the Wii or the PS3. Xbox players have a specific bond that I think is highly unavailable on the other systems. I've played online with the PS2, PS3, and DS...and there's just no sense of attachment or community there. Sure, Playstation Home *might* change that...but we'll have to wait and see.

On to recent Xbox news:

Continue reading...


It looks like some good things have come before the Xbox. It's controller, yet again, gets called "The best of the best." That damn d-pad though...it holds them from perfection.

Halo 3 is expected to even up MS losses in their gaming venture. With how solid and entertaining the Halo 3 beta was (those replay videos will be a hot topic of community interaction), I wouldn't say they are far off. It's hotter than Gears of War according to Game Daily.

Another good point was the handful of underhyped games. Shadowrun and Stranglehold are on that list.

MS also acknowledges that $199 is the sweet spot for pricing. Unfortunately, that also means they will deny price drops for as long as possible.

Due do the different cycles, the 360 is also putting the smack down on the PS3. It has a much bigger 8+/10 rated number of exclusives. While this may not claim victory, this does show that MS isn't going anywhere. R.I.P. Dreamcast comparisons.

On the negative side of things:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is sticking with the PS3. This is disappointing to me...but it does give me a game to use on my cold and lonely PS3. At least the series is sticking with the 360.

It's MS's turn for being accused of arrogance. I think a big concern is that they aren't handling their position very well at the moment. All we can do is sit and watch...because Microsoft isn't going to listen to our business suggestions, that's for sure.

It also looks that Microsoft's anti-modding movement has been temporarily thrwarted yet again. From what I gather in the community, gamers care more about eliminating cheaters than eliminating piracy. But that's a what-I-get-out-of-it bias for sure.

And lastly, back to the Halo 3 beta. Some are concerned that expectations will be so high that the pressure on Bungie might we overwhelming. Personally, I have faith. I have one request, and that is they make sniping even harder. It still seems too easy. Two words, "Breathing Movement." I'm sure between all players, the myriad of requests is ridiculous. We'll see how many expectations they can meet and/or compromise with.

In any case, those of us addicted just can't put the 360 controller down. Although the Wii is selling like hotcakes, I can't say that regular gamers are enjoying it in the long term. After several dozen rounds of bowling...the system's allure seems to taper off. It the end, gamers still benefit, and this console war is fiercer than ever. Viva la gaming, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home