twitstamp.com

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Sony's proprietary products continue to get more ridiculous...


PS3 may not play used games...

Obviously, this is speculation at this point, but I would NOT be surprised if Sony tried to pull something like this. This is what drives Sony; the ability to get you to purchase their product even though you'll get screwed in the end. If this speculation IS true, you can bet that I will NEVER buy a PS3. I hardly ever buy new games, so I as a unfortunate Sony customer would get screwed!

The "read" link at the bottom of the article goes to gamerandy.com where the writer claims that places like Gamestop have bad practice in selling used games. I disagree; once a licensed piece of hardware is purchased, it should be able to be sold to another indefinitely, given the previous owner no longer has a copy of it (including backups). If the previous owner can no longer play the title, then the passing of the game to another causes no harm. Any product can be sold as used, so this opinion is flawed as it would have to apply to garage sales and the Salvation Army as well. Anyway, a consumer will buy used because the price new was too high. The company making the game can fix that by lowering their prices, so the retailer can lower theirs.

I don't care that Gamestop makes profit twice when selling used games. They still have a business to run, and they provide a warranty on a used product. They even let me return used games that suck, or games I want to try on a different platform. You can't get that buying new and paying more.