twitstamp.com

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The order I look for games

Whenever I hear of a new game, the first thing I want to know is what console it is going to be on. I love multi-platform games because they allow me to avoid buying a game for the PS2, unless the game is otherwise only available for PC.

When I want a game, the following is the order of platform I check for:

  1. Xbox 360

  2. Xbox

  3. Gamecube (to be replaced by Wii)

  4. PS2 (to be replaced by PS3)

  5. Nintendo DS

  6. PSP

  7. PC


That's right; the PC is absolutely last on my list. That surprises people, especially when I tell them I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science. Sure, with PC's you can always have the latest and greatest hardware (for about a week). To me, buying a $600 video card that is only good for mere months is a waste. I'd rather buy a Xbox 360 or PS3 that will last half a century!

I find it unfortunate that Microsoft had to drop support for the original Xbox. It had so much more potential than the PS2 or the Gamecube, but we'll never get to see what could have been. On the other hand, it really wasn't benefiting them to keep putting money towards it, so concentrating on the 360 is probably the best strategy for them.

What's nice about the 360 and PS3 is that we're going to get some PC ports. Some gamers whine about that, but I think it's great. There are several games I would have otherwise never tried to play, such as FEAR, Phantasy Star Online, Half-Life 2, and Quake 4.

Anyway, there are exceptions to my ordered list; I'm not too strict. Beyond Good and Evil was a game I really wanted to get for another console, but the PS2 version was on a close-out sale so I bought it. I only regret that slightly (the other consoles have better analog sticks).

Do any multiple-console owners want to shed light of their multi-platform-order-of-preference for games?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home