twitstamp.com

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Reggie of Nintendo a little too cocky?

USA today has an interview with NOA's own Reggie Fils-Aime.
Q: Microsoft has made the comment that people can buy an Xbox 360 and Wii for about the same price as a PlayStation 3. Would you mind terribly if that happened?

A: I'd much rather have the consumer buy a Wii, some accessories, and a ton of games, vs. buying any of my competitor's products.

I know this guy works for Nintendo and everything, and this is the very "professional" response. Really though, I thought it was cool that the Microsoft guys were honest about being Nintendo fans and that they made the comment that led to sites such as Wii60.com.

In the end, I know I will thoroughly enjoy the Wii. However, I'm still a bit ill-confident in it's overall and in-the-long-run entertainment factor. The only thing I'm excited for at this point is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Motion control done Nintendo's way seems like it will be a blast, but I still don't get the feeling that it will fulfill all my gaming needs.

Continue reading...


The Xbox 360 has really done me in with higher resolution graphics. Going back to play a last generation console (i.e. Gamecube, Xbox, PS2) now feels like playing a PSOne game did 2 years ago. That's probably why I felt Shadow of the Colossus' overall graphics were horrible. The game was fun to play, but the graphic downfalls did take away from the game.

My point being that Nintendo seems a bit over confident for having a comparatively weak system. I can't see the Wii being a system that I'll want to play every day, download demos, and get in long gaming sessions in with.

The motion controller will be a refreshing experience, but all non-Wii-remote gaming won't cease to exist. Sure, we have Gamecube controller support and can use the Wii Remote sideways...but at that point, wouldn't you just want to play a PS3 or an Xbox 360 instead?

The online functions sound good, but I doubt it will be much compared to Xbox live. I'm not so sure if they will have the content flow necessary to appease those of the gaming hobbies.

Don't get me wrong, the nostalgic value of the Nintendo, Hudson, and Sega back catalogs are enticing. However, I still feel that Microsoft will be able to bring a better variety of current casual games to the table. They have the money and connections to do so, and they are also making efforts to work with small time developers. Nintendo and Sony claim to be doing the same thing, but Microsoft is a software company, and I feel they are better suited to get solid development tools in the right hands.

I hope Nintendo really can grab a bunch of new casual gamers and bring them into the market. It will do them well, just like the DS did for them. They just need to remember not to get too caught up in the casual gamers market, because long-time gamers will require more attention to be entertained in the long run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home