twitstamp.com

Friday, August 24, 2007

Good Read: 5 bad precedents set by Xbox 360

Prepare to cringe! I'm supporting an anti-Microsoft-ideal article (that has merit).

Actually, the article complains about the typical stuff. All of which are justified. What bothers me the most isn't so much the warranty work, but the price of the accessories. They are ridiculous (although the Wii and PS3 have their share of this).

The Core system time frame was wrong in my opinion. The core should have come out down the road if it was ever going to. I hope both Sony and Microsoft learned that people don't care about cheaper during the six months of leveling supply. Those who want it will pay whatever it takes.

I won't agree with his complaint of Microsoft saying "HDMI isn't necessary" a long time ago. It isn't necessary for gaming. Not whatsoever. 1080i component looks 99.9% as good as 1080p HDMI. The difference is completely negligible, and I've been much happier with my 360 and it's "lowly" component display than my PS3 with it's "Full" HDMI display. The only reason HDMI is an issue is because of waste-of-time-and-resources copy protection from HD-DVD and Blu-ray. Aside from that, it's just a consumer trap.

But I'm going to get an Elite anyway. Why? The extra hard drive space would be nice for one. Also, I have a 1080p television and need to free up a component input on my TV. Why? So I can use component cables on my PS2...ya know, since the PS3 won't play Guitar Hero correctly. 480i S-Video looks like crap on an HDTV.

Otherwise? I'd be fine. But there's no rush.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frank said...

hey eric. i didn't write that article on our site. that would be steve's handiwork and i think he did a great job on the article.

most people on the net who read that piece fell into one of three camps: 1)the MS fanboy who hated it, 2)the sony fanboy who loved it, 3)someone who actually read the article and interpreted it with some sense and reason much like yourself.

i'll comment to the HDMI connection issue. those of us who have an HDMI connection want to use it. in my case, it frees up a component hookup so i can use the wii there. its good to have options, no?

i enjoyed reading through your blog and thanks for stopping my the shamoozal!

11:24 AM  
Blogger SuicideNinja said...

Thank for visiting my site Frank! It's good to see a new commenter every once in a while.

I'm definitely an Xbox fan ever since Halo 2, and the following better versions of games I played last generation. I think Sony has sucked the fun out of gaming to be honest with you. But I still like Final Fantasy.

Even so, I will not defend Microsoft's choices that don't benefit the consumer. They are in the business to make money, but I agree that there were better options.

I like connection options for sure...I'm actually just annoyed that I need to free up a component input for my PS2 to play GH1 and GH:E.

Too much to say, LOL. Thanks again!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home