twitstamp.com

Friday, May 05, 2006

DRM says no to non-DVI/HDMI equipped TVs

Upscaling DVD player that works through component...with a hack

Yes, I know that is an old link. However, this is an example of why many HDTV owners will be pissed when Bluray/HD-DVD doesn't work with their HD unit: HDMI required.

I've been looking for my own upscaling DVD player for a cleaner picture. I'd like to give SqueakyNinja her DVD player back anyway. However, I am one of the lucky HDTV owners that doesn't have a DVI or HDMI input. So all of the new DVD upscalers won't display anything higher than 480p. Hollywood had kittens when they found that *gasp* a DVD is easier to copy over component. Um, who the hell would copy a DVD manually? Weirdos...

Anyway, this forces me to find an older DVD upscaler that will display on my HDTV (which is only 3 months old mind you). Thankfully, I was able to find one in the above article. Hopefully it wasn't refurbished to disable the HDCP control feature.

The movie industry is dumb. More people would buy movies if they were cheaper ($20+ is too high, I don't care if it's HD). Some people won't buy movies ever, no matter how cheap they are. Hollywood is just going to have to live with that.

Here's another point to bring up. If people are downloading movies, which generally have less than DVD quality, what makes them think that HD discs are going to be important to consumers? I predict they will cause even more bootlegging and illegal downloading by trying to force overpriced DRM-soaked products on us.

Hmmm. Food for thought.

Here's a list of players that seem to be able to upscale through component (may need a hack/special code):

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home