twitstamp.com

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo's E3 Press Conferences

Nintendo


Thank you 1up for the Nintendo keynote video feed. It was interesting. Nintendo = Fun. It always has, and always will.

The tennis demo was sweet. I don't even like tennis. But that looked like a lot of fun (if it actually works that well). The exercise alone could help millions world wide! LOL

I'm even more excited about the Wii after seeing that demonstration. Thinking about it, the graphics won't really matter if you are too busy moving around. I can actually see this getting more people into gaming. Personally, I think it is more important that we get more out of our gaming physically than standing up and yelling expletives. Naturally, not all games will be like this (full arm motion), which is good. We will need breaks. =)

Metroid Prime 3 Wii controlls hands-on

I don't care how lazy you are. That sounds fun.

Interjection! Damn that DS Lite is sexy...can't wait to get one. Moving on...

Microsoft


As for Microsoft's keynote, I was interested in the Live Anywhere idea. And of course the Halo 3 trailer. Vista is interesting to me, but not for gaming purposes. New Windows versions affect my job. Other than L.A., I wasn't really surprised by any of the information presented.

Unlike many others I see online, the HD-DVD attachment isn't really that interesting to me. The PS2 taught me to NEVER use your console to watch movies. The playback was shoddy, and burned media would cause the lasers to die really fast. Besides that, I've said a million times that HD-DVD and Bluray are a scam. Boycott them both.

And Peter...that GTA tatoo is ridiculous...

Sony


Sony dropped the bomb with two different PS3 models with the "cheapie?!" at $499 and the "ouch!" at $599.

I'm learning more and more about the not-so-cheapie version of the PS3. You lose a few important things:

  • You lose 40GB (20GB base vs. 60GB)

  • You lose the HDMI output (cannot be added on externally later)

  • You lose MemoryStick / SD / CompactFlash slots

  • You lose 802.11 b/g wireless


Looks like we also lose the rumble functions in the controllers as well (with both versions). And we are stuck with the dated shape (analog and D-PAD are still in the same place). For anyone that hasn't been keeping up, the dual HDMI outs and built in switch (3 ethernet ports) have been nixed as well. The 7 device (controllers/peripherals) bluetooth support seems to still be there though. Phew.

The old new controllers get a crappy "motion" sensor in them, too. Of course, it will be nothing like the Wii remote's abilities. It screams, "AFTERTHOUGHT!" I still can't get past that this will be the 3rd generation for that controller. I'm sorry, but the analog triggers out-do the double shoulder buttons by a long shot. And the analog stick placement sucks.

At this rate...maybe I won't get a PS3 next year. I may have to wait until 2008. Justifying that kind of money for two unproven technologies (Bluray, Cell) and a potential format failure (Bluray) is just a bad idea. But if the right games come at the right time...I won't be able to wait.

This isn't going to go over well after the hardcore swallow up the initial shipments. Will middle-class parents buy their kids a $600 console? Will the parents that game think it's worth the money?

There's a difference between "being able to afford" and "squandering money". The PS3 seems to be the latter at the moment. $600 is a 60k tuneup for your car. $600 is a month's rent. $600 is a unlimited use PC. $600 is 100 shares of Toshiba stock (the last time I checked anyway). $600 can also net you BOTH of the competition's consoles.

Is the PS3 good enough to replace all of the above? We'll have to see it's real performance when it's in our living rooms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home