twitstamp.com

Friday, October 20, 2006

No entitlements for the PS3, or achievements

While easy to mock the "entitlements" term that Sony selected, I'm actually disappointed they aren't currently planning on implementing a profile-based achievement system like the 360's.

There was a generous time frame where I didn't care about achievements. The initial 360-owning several months was that time. The point I began to care, was when I was looking for some replay value in my previous game investments. Achievements thankfully came to the rescue. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have gone all-gold in Full Auto and Burnout: Revenge if I hadn't been patted on the back for getting there.

The funny thing now is that I expect the achievements. Playing an Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube game is just that much less fulfilling because it's missing those goals, checkpoints of progress, and replay-to-get tasks. Achievements are a good thing, and promote playing games for entertainment. I hope developers continue to find interesting ways to use them as well.

Getting a difficult achievement is like figuring out how to get a Gold Star for not-so-correctly pronouncing "fhqwghads".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home